Man, woman sentenced to 60 years each in 2023 killing of 30-year-old in Henrico Whole Foods Market parking lot

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) -- The man and woman charged in the killing of a 30-year-old man in the parking lot of a Henrico Whole Foods Market in 2023 have each been sentenced to 60 years, according to Henrico Commonwealth's Attorney Shannon Taylor.
On Friday, Aug. 29, 35-year-old Deonte Marquel Winston and 37-year-old Katoya Laquan Brown, both of the town of Crewe in Nottoway County, were sentenced by a Henrico County Circuit Court judge for their roles in the killing of 30-year-old Julian Leshon McClenny, according to a statement by Taylor.
Winston and Brown were each sentenced to 60 years in prison.
On May 21, Winston and Brown were found guilty of first-degree murder, use of a firearm in the commission of murder and four counts of felony child neglect, Taylor said.
Taylor said evidence at the trial revealed that in the evening on Sept. 2, 2023, McClenny and his girlfriend were in Henrico County's Short Pump area for the weekend to celebrate McClenny's birthday and the anniversary of his girlfriend's parents.
Earlier in the evening on Sept. 2, the couple had dinner with her family, and, when they returned to their hotel, they reportedly decided to take a brief walk.
As the couple walked through the West Broad Village subdivision, Taylor said they noticed Winston "aggressively panhandling," and loudly cursing at a man in the Whole Foods parking lot.
Winston then saw the couple walking and quickly approached the couple "in a hostile manner," Taylor said.
McClenny then told his girlfriend to keep walking while he addressed Winston. As McClenny placed himself between Winston and his girlfriend, Winston reportedly pulled a gun from his waistband.
As McClenny was unarmed, Taylor said McClenny attempted to get the gun away from Winston. Winston reportedly shot at McClenny during a struggle, and the two men fell to the ground.
Brown and her four children, with whom she shares custody with Winston, were reportedly in a Honda minivan parked on the road next to where Winston and McClenny were on the sidewalk.
Brown then quickly jumped out of the minivan after getting her own gun and fired at McClenny, hitting him in the stomach, Taylor said.
"McClenny was still moving, so Brown shot him again in the head," Taylor said.
Winston and Brown then reportedly jumped in the van and sped away from the area, which Taylor said left Henrico Police "with few leads except for their physical descriptions and the description of their minivan."
McClenny had life-threatening injuries and was pronounced dead on Sept. 5, 2023.
Taylor said an investigation by the Henrico Police Division led to the identification of the minivan that the suspects were driving and the identities of Winston and Brown in the town of Crewe, where they were taken into custody several days after the killing.
Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Mike Jagels and Senior Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Terrica M. Taylor prosecuted the case.
"No person should be arbitrarily deprived of life, especially by the use of firearms," Taylor said. "The jury’s verdicts and today’s sentences send a message that this community will not tolerate such cruel, senseless, and violent acts."