Richmond’s Gilpin Court residents share concerns, questions over property transfer from nonprofit to private corporation
RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) -- Residents of Richmond's Gilpin Court neighborhood expressed their concerns and posed questions during a meeting with Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority (RRHA) Thursday evening.
The meeting, "Good 4 Gilpin," took place in the Greater Mount Moriah Baptist Church in the evening on Thursday, Aug. 29, between residents of Richmond's Gilpin Court and RRHA officials to continue the discussion regarding plans for an ownership change.
RRHA previously announced plans to transfer ownership of Gilpin Court, a public housing development, from being owned by the RRHA nonprofit to Richmond Development Corporation (RDC), its private corporation, causing scrutiny from some residents and Richmond City Council members.
RRHA CEO Steven Nesmith has stated that the housing will continue to be protected.
Many tenants voiced questions and concerns as the future of the property remains uncertain.
"Why are we creating a whole RDC to put the plan under that," one speaker asked. "Why is it not going through HUD or with no oversight?"
In response, Nesmith explained during the meeting that the transfer would secure "for-profit" funding that RRHA's nonprofit would not be able to receive.
"The reason why we're using RDC is because we need to raise private capital because there’s not enough public funds to redevelop Gilpin," Nesmith said.
Without those funds, Nesmith said it's highly unlikely that the property can be developed the way that tenants have requested.
Other residents expressed a desire for more community support behind the transfer.
"I don't have the money," one resident said. "RRHA has the money. Come to the meeting and let's try to work together."
"Stop going to Uncle Sam and Uncle Tom and everybody else and asking them to do something for us," another resident said. "We need to start standing together."
In the process, RRHA is seeking tenant protection vouchers for all 781 units at Gilpin Court, as well as a tenant bill of rights that allows any current resident to return to Gilpin once the redevelopment is complete.
After hearing community input, RRHA's Board of Commissioners plan to vote on the property transfer in September.
Those wishing to share feedback during another meeting at the same location, 913 N. 1st St. in Richmond, from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 6.
Back in July, councilmembers passed an ordinance brought forth by 3rd district Councilmember Kenya Gibson meant to increase public transparency and accountability for both the RRHA and RDC.
A draft of the ordinance obtained by 8News said that “the Council of the City of Richmond is concerned that the RRHA and RDC are taking actions without sufficient public oversight and meaningful engagement with Richmond residents and public housing tenants," a claim which Nesmith has refuted.
Councilwoman Stephanie Lynch previously told 8News that Gilpin Court tenants may be displaced if these transfers proceed.