RPD liaison, police discuss preventative measures after Shockoe Bottom shooting

RPD liaison, police discuss preventative measures after Shockoe Bottom shooting

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) -- The liaison between the Richmond Police Department (RPD) and nightlife in Shockoe Bottom is suggesting several safety measures on how to move forward after two people died in a shooting in the neighborhood early Saturday morning.

At around 2:47 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 21, an officer with the Richmond Police Department said she saw a large crowd engaging in confrontations in the 00 block of North 18th Street while on patrol. When she exited the car, the officer found a woman dead at the scene. EMS crews arrived on scene one minute later, RPD Police Chief Rick Edwards said.

Police said 23-year-old Genesis Tamar Jones of Petersburg and 42-year-old Dominic Antoine Jackson of Henrico were killed in the shooting. Seven other people were injured, including one person with life-threatening injuries. Police said all victims are adults aged 23 to 42.

MORE: ‘We lost our baby:’ Heartbroken family mourns loss of victim in Shockoe Bottom shooting

Liaison Juan Braxton had a standing meeting with RPD, where he discussed the issues with officers. One suggestion was making Shockoe Bottom an "entertainment district," where Braxton said the neighborhood could be subject to a different set of ordinances. Those could include potential gun restrictions.

Another possible priority was having RPD officers stay out later.

"What's starting to happen is that — after the police cleared out the area — people are coming back to the area. So, we need to find a way to police that to keep that from happening, because that definitely could have helped last night," Braxton said.

Prior to Saturday's incident, Braxton said an RPD presence had been placed in the neighborhood.